Current technology and its frequent innovations have rapidly altered the digital landscape. Most of our everyday tasks are dependent on our devices, specifically the applications. Apps are software designed for use on various gadgets. Compared to integrated software systems on PC, mobile applications often provide different functions. Chat applications and social networking apps were the most popular app categories globally in the third quarter of 2020, with 91% and 88% usage reach, respectively. You need to be aware of the updates for which real-device testing is essential. Different devices have different utilities- making it slow. Model-based testing tools and techniques help to ensure the functionalities within the minimum run time.
Model-based testing is a software testing approach that compares the run-time behavior of the software under test to predictions generated by a model. A model is a description of the behavior of a system. Input sequences, actions, conditions, output, and data flow from input to output can represent behavior. It should be practical to grasp and reusable; sharing must provide a detailed description of the system under test.
Most popular applications globally by the 3rd quarter of 2020
Types Of Mobile-Based Testing
Model-based testing frameworks can be classified into two categories.
Offline / a priori: Create test suites, a grouping of test cases, before running them.
Online / on-the-fly: Test suite generation during test execution
Different Models In N Testing
There are multiple models available that describe various elements of system behavior. The following are some examples of the model:
- Control Flow
- Dependency of Graphs
- Data Flow
- Decision Tables and
- State Transition machines
Finite State Machines
This model assists testers in determining the outcome based on the input chosen. Several input combinations can result in a corresponding system state.
The system will have a specific and present state that will be regulated by a set of inputs provided by the testers.
Consider the following example:
A mechanism in place allows the staff to access the application. The employee’s present status is “out”; it will change to “in” once they sign into the system. An employee in the “in” status can read, print, and scan documents in the system.
Statecharts are finite state machine extensions utilized for sophisticated and real-time systems. These have a predetermined number of states. The system’s activity is studied and represented as events for each state.
As an example —
Defects are marked as new in the defect management tool. The status is set to fix once developers have corrected it. The quality is changed to re-open unless it is rectified. The statechart has a structure to ensure each state has its event.
Unified Modeling Language (UML) is a general-purpose modeling language standardized. UML contains graphic notation tools for creating visual models that may represent exceedingly complex system behavior.
Notations in UML include:
- Components of the Business Process
- Language of programming
Every model that enhances efficiency has its cons.
Challenges Of Mobile-Based Testing
The deployment of model-based testing in any company necessitates significant expenditure and work. Testers must have the relevant skills.
The learning curve duration will be longer due to difficulty comprehending the model itself.
As an application grows in size in terms of lines of code or complexity, mobile-based testing tools become more efficient. If tests are not conducted in-house as additional lines of code are added to the source code, this will be worrisome. As more lines of code are added, the likelihood of bugs or possible security problems entering the program increases, hampering your mobile-based testing techniques.
Below we have listed some disadvantages of model-based testing:
- It facilitates the formation of teams of trained testers.
- The overall testing cost for the project will rise, but this expense is mitigated as the product grows.
- When adopting model-based testing techniques, there is a steep learning curve.
- Model-based testing can be rather complicated to comprehend at first.
- Teams who are just getting started may wish to work with testing professionals who can explain the model-based testing tools to developers and assist in the implementation that will work best for you.
- While hiring these specialists may cost a little more money upfront, it will save you money in the long run.
- High coverage and minimal maintenance costs exhibit an excellent option for enterprises seeking the highest degree of testing coverage available. Model-based testing will necessitate the presence of qualified testers within the company.
However, you cannot overlook the progress made by model-based testing.
Benefits Of Mobile-Based Testing
Despite the challenges, mobile-based testing has its share of advantages. It provides easy test case maintenance at low cost and early defect detection.
Following are the benefits of conducting model-based testing:
- The initial implementation of many test cases is time-consuming but is much easier to maintain.
- While testing automation, the expenses of conducting many tests reduce. The worldwide automation industry is forecast to expand significantly, notably in 3D printing, artificial intelligence, and drones, which are estimated to almost double in global revenue over this time frame. Most contemporary industries rely heavily on testing automation. By 2021, the automation industry will be worth more than 83 billion US dollars.
- Tests can be conducted on several workstations or servers to see how the underlying system reacts to the various tests.
- Defects in a system or a product find quick identification.
- Projects are smoother and more efficient to carry out.
- Customer service gets better due to less time consumption.
- When model-based testing is used, developers testing multiple methodologies will discover that their job satisfaction is immense.
When adopting any testing procedure, it is critical to recognize that the initial resources invested in the testing might be enormous. These resources can be time-consuming, but the convenience of testing automation will considerably outweigh the effort invested in model-based testing.
Difficulties will be addressed immediately during the development cycle so that there is no risk of the product reaching the market with ongoing issues that degrade the user experience.
Software businesses have adopted various testing techniques around the globe. Microsoft has been employing model-based testing techniques for years. It finds ready usage in mobile applications and other sorts of development in the current world.
These tests are carried out in addition to the manual mobile app testing services that many teams utilize.
A model enables developers and their teams to understand system behavior during testing. It is a simple validation in both software and hardware testing. The company must understand the benefits of online mobile testing systems to avoid confusion during the process.